Monday, September 19, 2005

Only the Paranoid Win Championships

Good morning, Fantastic Football Fans!

Are you feeling motivated this morning? I certainly hope so. I know that I am!

Before getting into the substance of this post, let me mention my teaching plans for this month in the Boston area:

In Brookline, Massachusetts (617-730-2700)

Franchising Opportunities to Start a New Business on September 21 and 28

Call now for information and to enroll!

Introduction

Last fall, my son kindly arranged for me to join him in Miami to watch the Patriots play. I had not seen a game in the Tom Brady era, and I was excited. Surrounded by other Patriots fans, my son felt a little out of place as he cheered on his Dolphins.

Just before the game ended, a self-satisfied Patriots fan turned to my son and lectured him on why the Patriots win so may championships: They don't make stupid, mental mistakes.

Then Tom Brady threw an ill-advised pass that was intercepted deep in the red zone, and the Dolphins scored and went on to win the game.


Observations

Watching the Patriots lose to Carolina yesterday reminded me of that game last season in frigid Miami.

Yesterday, the Patriots beat themselves with penalties, dropped passes, turnovers and missed opportunities with potential interceptions.

It was the sort of game that must leave coaches shaking in the middle of the night . . . when you lose.

Recommendation

In a business book, Andy Grove once coined a phrase that seems to fit: Only the Paranoid Survive!

The Patriots were up early on the Panthers and seemed to have them on the ropes. If they had paid attention for another five minutes, this game would probably have been a 40-21 Patriots win. But the Patriots didn't stay focused.

Until the game is put away, football teams would do well to run scared every time that they get a temporary advantage. They should treat the situation like they are behind . . . and cannot afford a mistake.

Remember that lesson the next time: Only the paranoid win championships!

*******************************************************************

Thanks so much for your support of this blog. I'm delighted that so many tens of thousands of people have made this blog part of their regular reading habit!

Thank you to my many friends, students, clients and blog readers who are spreading the good word about this blog.

If you are visiting today because someone invited you, I'm delighted to meet you! Let's stay in touch.

May God bless you.

Donald W. Mitchell, Your Dream Concierge

Copyright 2005 Donald W. Mitchell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home